I’m reading Let’s get real or let’s not play, a very interesting book on sales. One of the first chapters is about qualifying opportunities, and the authors give the following key questions to guide a conversation with a client:
- What are all of the issues the solutions is intended to resolve? In what priority?
- What’s letting you know it’s a problem?
- What’s the impact on the business? Financial and intangible costs and benefits.
- How would you measure success?
- What is the payoff is success is achieved?
- Who or what else is affected?
- What’s the big picture?
- What has stopped the organization from resolving this in the past?
- Did I get it right? Did I leave anything out?
Certainly, a conversation with a potential client shall deal with all this!